Sunday, November 06, 2005

Tripping the mood tarptastic

Chris Rose's column today summed up my own experience with mood swings and the whiplash of my emotional peaks and valleys. I have becomed more familiar with the benefits of mood-altering drugs. I think if there was ever a time to turn to Eli Lilly & friends, it's now. I'm not ashamed to say I'm currently conducting a fond love affair with my new beau, Xanax.

I had a recent evening with friends (a couple who I'd seen only once or twice since the storm) at our local hangout. Pre-K, we'd discussed topics ranging from 80's clothing fads to the sinus conditions of our co-workers. Drinks, laughs, the usual bar interpersonal theater. After-K, I found myself sitting across the iron patio furniture from them, literally staring into my drink and at the tops of my shoes. I was not lively company. In fact, I was downright melancholy. This is not a mood that I frequently exhibit, and certainly not one that I bring to a friendly get-together. Our usual lively bar talk was replaced by monologues of almost haiku-ish brevity.

And yet, the next day, I was back to "normal," and wondering what the hell was my problem last night? I have been in awe of the amplitude of my own uncontrollable mood swings - hell, I didn't know my moods could do this - and I'm left reeling in the wake of these hot, quick punches of emotions. Pfizer should take me in as a lab rat. This is nuts.

1 comment:

Ray said...

I'm going back for my first visit this weekend, and yeah, I'm bringing a fistful of Valium just in case.

And I don't even live there anymore.